Re: When to upload a package which fixes FTBFS with GCC 4.3 ?

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> Le Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 10:21:22PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr a écrit :
>>
>> Your package fails to build with GCC 4.3.  Version 4.3 has not been
>> released yet but I'm building with a snapshot in order to find errors
>> and give people an advance warning.  In GCC 4.3, the C++ header
>> dependencies have been cleaned up.  The advantage of this is that
>> programs will compile faster.  The downside is that you actually
>> need to directly #include everything you use (but you really should
>> do this anyway, otherwise your program won't work with any compiler
>> other than GCC).  Some background of this can be found at
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/PR28080
>
> 	I have a question : I read in the link you provided that
> binary program will be smaller if compiled with gcc 4.3. Does it mean
> that I should wait for gcc 4.3 to become the default compiler before
> uploading a new version which fixes the bug, in order to take
> advantage of a rebuild, or will there be a mass rebuilding anyway ?
>
> (CCing to -devel in the hope that the question is not too naive and
> has a general interest.)

Fixing the bugs well in advance of a compiler transition makes the
transition far smoother.  It should be trivial to schedule binNMUs
once the new compiler is the default, and it's probably going to be a
while for 4.3 to be the default, given that 4.2 isn't yet released.

Given that all these fixes are in fact bugs due to missing headers, I
can't see any reason not to fix them at the earliest opportunity.
Personally, I'll be uploading fixed versions of my packages as soon as
etch is released.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh