Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:24:26AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I disagree. Not only because the bug is not RC, but because you could say
> > the same for users running other virtualization technologies (UML? Vmware?)
> > with similar behaviours.
>
> Do they behave in the same way?

Well, not the same way, but udev will interfere in this scenarios:

 - Uml assigns MAC addresses automatically so MAC address will depend on when
   the interface was started and whether it was configured before it was
   started. In any case MAC addresses change when the interface is 'up'ped
   (from '00:00:00:00:00:00' to something else) or connected to different
   uml-switches (without changing the UML machine itself). You
   can staticly assign them, however,
   See http://edeca.net/articles/bridging/questions.html#macproblems2

 - Vmware can be used to run linux already installed in a local hard disk
   (instead of using a virtual disk). In this case, the MAC address given by
   Vmware for its bridged network interfaces (sharing the system's network
   interfaces with the host) will be within Vmware's assigned OID MAC
   addresses, which is different from the network interface's MAC address
   when the system boots (without virtualization) and uses the real network
   interface directly.
   There might be some other situations in which MAC addresses change
   (changing an interface from bridged-mode to host-only or so), but are more
   similar to the device renaming in udev when ethernet cards are removed
   or replaced.

- When you "move around" a Vmware virtual image (to a different host or to
  a different directory, or clone it) MAC addresses might also change:
  http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_advanced_mac_address.html
  and
  http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/476/507_f.SAL_Public.html

  Google for "mac address vmware udev" and you'll find many users having
  problems with udev in these cases. For example
  http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=46069&tstart=0
  (go down the thread and you will see comments about people cloning Debian
  systems)

Regards

Javier