Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:36:33 +0100, Amaya  <amaya@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> So what is your oh-so-elegant solution to the MIA account problem?

> Humans problems have no technical solution.

        While that is true, I don't think it is totally applicable
 here.  The problem we have is of maintainer accounts that dead, and
 need to be removed.  What we need here is a ping -- and the old
 maintainer ping was much hated, so learning from that, we are trying
 to get a proxy for a real maintainer ping; and only fall back to the
 maintainer ping when our proxy mechanisms fail.

        Now what should a ping response be like? We need an activity
 that says I am still involved in the Debian project; which means that
 mere mail to, say, a user list, is not enough. Uploads of packages
 are the gold standard, of course.

        What else should count as "this person is still functioning as
 a debian developer"?  Not maintaining packages means that they are
 now active in roles that do not require them to be a developer --
 apart from voting.

        So, since package uploads, and voting for DPL is an activity
 you need to be a developer in order to do, stands to reason you
 count the people engaging in these activities as being somewhat
 active as developers.

        Now, whether merely voting, while this counts as a DD activity
 should be enough to retain the rights and privileges of being a
 developer, is another question.  But remember, we say that not all
 DD's are package maintainers, so package uploads can't count as the
 sole valid activity.

        On the gripping hand, I also see that a email ping response
 might not be seen as a valid "I am not missing" proof -- not all
 people tell the truth all the time.

        manoj
--
Old age is too high a price to pay for maturity.