Re: unwanted loading of libnss_nis.so in etch

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:03:09AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> open("/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_nis.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 4

> Below is the contents of my /etc/nsswitch.conf.  This should mean that
> libnss-nis.so is not loaded, however an strace of "ls -l" shows the above
> line (an strace of "ls" with no parameters doesn't).

> Why would libnss_nis.so be loaded?

Because that's what it means when you use 'compat' instead of 'files',
support for NIS netgroups in /etc/passwd and friends.  C.f. nsswitch.conf(5)
for the details.

IIRC this is the default in Debian because Ben Collins had an unhealthy
affection for NIS. :)