how to get dpkg-deb to ignore hidden/backup files + why extra control file?

Question #1: For creating packages, as per the suggestions in

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO/#AEN88

There is this step that requires you to copy the control file from the debian subdir to debian/DEBIAN directory. Could someone explain to me why is this step necessary? Is it possible to manage the build files without having to copy the control file to another location before each dpkg-deb --build step?

Question #2: I did a dpkg-deb --build and checked what was put into the .deb file. Since my files were in a .svn working directory, It picked up a bunch of hidden files in the .svn directory, as well as backup files and other garbage. How can I specify that dpkg-deb ignore some of the files that are in the directory it is supposed to "zip up"?