Re: recent etch upgrade... sashroot (uid=0) started to impersonate uid=0 (root)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 04:22:15PM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> I have a box (etch amd64) which had sash installed with created
> sashroot account to run sash for the case of emergency. /etc/passwd had
> it

> ,-------------------------------------
> | root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> | sashroot:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sash
> `---

[...]

> I could not figure out why that happened exactly, so I simply tuned
> /etc/passwd and assigned bogus uid/gid  to sashroot entry
> like
> | sashroot:x:666:666:daemon:/root:/bin/sash
> `---

> that made it right to resolve the uids

> I am wondering what the heck has happened and isn't it a libnss problem?

No, it's a configuration error on your part.  How is NSS supposed to know
which is the "right" name for uid 0 when you've overloaded the uid with more
than one username?  If you don't ensure a unique mapping, NSS is free to
pick whichever mapping suits it at the time.