Re: about gstreamer0.8 and python2.3 removal

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> >> Pretty surprising. Was there a discussion in which this decision was
> >> made or is this just the assumed position?
> > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/12/threads.html#00131>
> I saw that thread which seemed to die off without a clear indication
> of the decisions taken as regards removal, hence 'assumed' position:
> One guy wants gst0.8 removed and another wants to keep it in due to
> goobox, there's some arguments, and.. nothing (not even mails to
> release or security team).

 You saw the thread but you wonder whether there was a discussion?

 The thread was a *tentative* for a late removal of GStreamer 0.8
 altogether at the end of the release cycle.  There was enough
 opposition of the goobox maintainer that he did not get enough advance
 warning and that his application was more useful than the ones
 available for GStreamer 0.10, so I didn't insist in the removal, and I
 was personally okay to provide support for the suite in the etch cycle
 (inclusive backporting of security issues, see the recent uploads of
 gst-ffmpeg).

 But today, presumably awakened by your messages, the security team
 declared the ffmpeg part of the GStreamer 0.8 stack to be
 non-supportable for etch via a serious bug; hence, I have requested its
 removal from testing.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>