Re: nsswitch.conf

>>>>> "Loïc" == Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> writes:

    Loïc>  #406198 is about reverting the changes it does to
    Loïc> nsswitch.conf on removal, not about not updating
    Loïc> nsswitch.conf, but yes, libnss-mdns edits the conffile of
    Loïc> another package.

Packages shouldn't be editing conffiles (as opposed to configuration
files that are not conffiles), period. This is against policy. It
results in conflicts occurring the next time the package updates the
file.

However, it is listed as "obsolete", so I suspect this means it is no
longer a conffile:

Package: base-files
Conffiles:
 /etc/nsswitch.conf 109e33e2c91d1853b5bc56078a96aa18 obsolete

...which in turn would make your confirmation invalid ;-).

Regardless, I don't feel very strongly on the issues I raised. I think
it might be good if all libnss-* packages were consistent in the way
they handle (or don't handle) automatic updates to /etc/nsswitch.conf.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>