Re: Debian in Sanger (Re: update on binary upload restrictions)

On 2 Feb 2007, at 10:28 am, Gabor Gombas wrote:

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:10:56PM +0000, Tim Cutts wrote:

What I'd actually like is some sort of non-root packaging system so
that users could build software with decent dependency checking for
their shared software infrastructure.   Can dpkg be cajoled into
doing that?

I knew people who were doing this with rpm. AFAIK the only tricky part
was the pre-seeding of the RPM database with some packages that were
installed on the system level (like libc) so the dependency tracking
could work. dpkg also has a "--root ..." option, but unfortunately dpkg seems to check for root privileges before trying to install a package so
it is pretty much useless.

Yes, indeed, because --root does a chroot() which requires root privilege. What I'm basically after is a dpkg-alike that uses a different root directory, but without using a chroot, so that non- root users can use it.

Tim