Re: etch's upgrades during life cycle

On Friday 02 February 2007 06:49, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> > What i am saying is: is it possible to in a lenny or lenny++ change the
> > way debian upgrades it's stable, just for the kernel?
>
> There are few plans how to add one more kernel in the middle of Etchs
> life time to support more hardware - reality will show us how good we
> match that.

Is it certain that a kernel alone will be enough?  Might there be changes
required to x.org, fdisk, udev, hal, and other things for new hardware?

Another possible reason for a new package is discovering bugs in code that has
potential security issues.  Currently we release new packages to fix security
problems, but AFAIK we don't fix potential issues.  I recall the mremap()
kernel security issue that was discovered by the bad guys after it was fixed
as a non-security issue in the kernel.org repository.  Maybe some similar
fixes could be candidates for inclusion.

What about documentation changes?  If package foo-doc changes then it has
little potential for serious regression, and if the old version of the
document was misleading in a bad way then it could justify an upgrade.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development