Re: Debian in Sanger (Re: update on binary upload restrictions)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Tim Cutts wrote:
On 1 Feb 2007, at 1:30 pm, Steffen Moeller wrote:
There is probably no point for Debian to compete in the package versions with
upstream developers of BioPerl, Wise, EMBOSS and whatever other tools yours
and your neighbouring institutes' are providing :o)

What I'd actually like is some sort of non-root packaging system so that users could build software with decent dependency checking for their shared software infrastructure. Can dpkg be cajoled into doing that?

About a year ago I was playing with getting emerge to do this. I had gotten to the point where I could emerge most of system and a few other things as a normal user on a debian system and have it install stuff in ~/gentoo/. Most of the changes made it into the portage-prefix branch, but last I checked it was still needing a lot of work.

Ivan