Re: Debian Mirror with lzma compressed packages

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 09:25:38AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I'm not sure if the smaller size that LZMA allows is worth it if
> > > it then takes a lot longer to unpack files, or if it becomes
> > > impossible to do so due to memory requirements.
> >
> > I don't know on memory requirements. but i didn't notice any speed
> > drawbacks for my personal use.
>

> Last I checked, bzip2 requires a lot of memory to decompress. It's
> documented in bzip2 manpage.  8MB is still a large number considering
> embedded devices and Debian running on virtual machines.  How about
> LZMA ?
>
> bzip2:
>                   Compress   Decompress   Decompress   Corpus
>            Flag     usage      usage       -s usage     Size
[snip]
>             -9      7600k      3700k        2350k      828642

2350k (+ 828642, I guess) != 8MB...

The 8MB you cite is for compressing, not decompressing.

[snip]

regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //