Re: localisation in system wide daemons

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-12-31 08:48:50, schrieb Szalay Attila:
> > Hi All!
>
> > Then you lucky or your packages do it right. :)
> >
> > My problem is not with the bug report language but the cut&pasted log
> > messages language. If I got a bug report I allways ask for log messages
> > (not for my packages but in some mailing list) and it's vwey confusable
> > if I cannot read or understand the log messages. And if I had have a
> > package with a lot of messages it would have been a PIA. (IMHO)
>
> I have customers which use byside Debian some another distributions
> and it is realy annoying, if th init scripts output localized
> messages and they apear localized in the logfiles.

Outputting messages in the systemwide locale is always appropriate. If
you do not want them localized (whatever language that means changing
them into) then the system wide locale should not be set to that
language.

It's trivial to change the language to C if that's a problem.

Don Armstrong

--
"A one-question geek test. If you get the joke, you're a geek: Seen on
a California license plate on a VW Beetle: 'FEATURE'..."