Editing the sources in "debian/rules clean"

It has come to my attention that a number of packages edit source files
(i.e. non-generated files in the source directory tree) in the "clean"
target of debian/rules.

Policy is mostly silent on this issue.  There's a requirement that
"build, clean" is a no-op, but dpkg-buildpackage actually executes
"clean, build" or just "clean".  Nevertheless, I think this is an RC
bug.

(It is surprisingly difficult to release minimal security updates for
packages with this behavior.  This is my main concern.)