why does ubuntu cripple alsa?!?

I want to run alsaconf. It's not there.
i want to run snddevices script. It's not there either.
I search and search the ubuntu forums. In the end, it seems everyone
in ubuntu-land must resort to compiling alsa from SOURCE to get sound
on their laptop. WTF?!?

Obviously ubuntu is having serious problems with packing alsa
properly. Why is that? Could someone from debian land give them a hand
please?!?

What would happen if I tried to install debian lenny's alsa-utils on a
ubuntu gutsy gibbon?

PS: sorry if this is not the appropriate list for this, I plan to post
it to some sort of ubuntu forum once I figure out which one is the
right one.