Re: Draft new policy document format

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:29:28AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         At Debconf earlier this year, I gave a talk about the benefits

First of all, thanks for revamping this. I'm really looking forward for
some common format for writing policies and, personally, I would be very
happy to port the Vim and OCaml policies to such a format when there
will be one.

>         Comments appreciated.

As a general comment, before seeing an actual XML-like format I would
like to see a list of what semantic information a document in such a
format should be able to express. E.g. "a set of rules, each of which
with a mandatoriness level which is one among MUST/SHOULD/... bla bla
together with bla bla". Can you please summarize such information for
us?

In addition to that, just some tiny nitpicking below.

>         <section role="PolicyRule">
>           <title>Policy Rule Example</title>
>
>           <para role="priority">
>             <property>MUST</property>
>           </para>

I find this use of <para> inappropriate. The role is fine, but the one
thing above is definitely not a paragraph, so it should not be tagged as
such.

Unfortunately I'm writing this email offline so I'm unable to check
whether docbook has any more appropriate element for this or where else
can be but a <property> element, but something better then this should
be looked for.

Cheers.