Re: Parallel build results

* Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.unipd.it> [071202 03:39]:
> I finally got through the test builds of all the source packages in sid for
> i386 using dpkg-buildpackage -j3 on a dual core machine.  The results as
> before are at http://people.debian.org/~schepler/build-logs/bymaint.html .
|    xbuffy: succeeded, but with jobserver warnings

thanks for catching this, should be fixed with the upload of today.

> These are not encouraging statistics, especially considering the fact that
> there are undoubtedly many false negatives, so I'll hold off on submitting
> bug reports for now.

Glancing over some of the failed build logs, suprisingly many of them
seem even be caused by broken debian/rules files.

I'm suprised stuff like

| build-arch: unpack-stamp patch-stamp configure build-arch-stamp
| build-arch-stamp:
|        ...some commands...

actually works with -j1. (Well, it will only work when special targets
are specified).

I think going after such errors has much more advantages than just
allowing hosts with multiple processors to build faster, such stuff
should never be allowed to sneak in.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link