[help] brltty: Java behaves strangely on different archs?

Hi.

One of my packages (brltty) recently gained Java bindings for its API.
Now since I added the usage of gcj to brltty, I see that the java toolchain
seems to be quite out of sync on different archs in different ways.

At first everything worked here on amd64, but when I uploaded I saw
the i386 build failing[1], the builddeps were all there but the java bindings
are somehow not built and therefore dh_install fails.
Then I noticed in the same run that on arm, the build-deps couldn't be
satisfied[2].
Later on, the problem on i386 vanished magically[3] and it just autobuilds
fine there now.  But the same problem as I saw on i386 originally
now seems to persist at least on alpha[4].  arm still can't install
the build-deps.  This is about 2 months later since I first uploaded
the java-using version of brltty...  I was originally hoping
this would all just sort out by itself.  Now that I'd actually need
brltty to go to testing for other reasons, I am sort of lost.

This is a call for help.  If you have any idea or can shed a little
light on the whole issue, please let me know what I can do to fix this
and get brltty in testing.  I *know* I could remove the java support again,
but I'd like to make sure there is no other way before doing so.

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=i386&stamp=1188733192&file=log
[2] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=arm&stamp=1188732968&file=log
[3] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-7&arch=i386&stamp=1189354533&file=log
[4] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.9-2&arch=alpha&stamp=1195173383&file=log