Re: ITP: liblocale-us-perl -- Module for United States state identification

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 06:51:03PM +0000, Matt Brown wrote:
> On 11/17/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > > This Perl module provides methods allowing United States' two-letter
> > > state identification parsing from state code to state name and vice
> > > versa.
> >
> > Is a package really needed for something this simple?
>
> It might be obvious to a US native, but it's hardly simple or obvious
> to those of us outside America.
>
> MI is a prime example, does it refer to Michigan, Missouri,
> Mississippi or Minesota? The first two letters match all four.
>
> If you come across this every day you probably know the answer, but I
> just had to look it up again (Michigan) despite being caught out by
> this just the other week!

That got me thinking.  I figure that since MI -> Michigan, it meant that
MI was the first state to start with those letters.  Logically, I would
think, always use the first two letters, unless another state already
had them.  Arbitrate in order granting of statehood.  But both
Mississippi (MS) and Missouri (MO) were states before Michigan (MI).

Curious.

Regards,

-Roberto
--