Re: Long-term mass bug filing for crossbuild support

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:34:45 +0100
Pierre THIERRY <nowhere.man@levallois.eu.org> wrote:

> Scribit Neil Williams dies 11/11/2007 hora 12:44:
> > Emdebian supports amd64, i386 and powerpc as --build.
>
> Why aren't all architectures supported by Debian supported?

? Because I'm referring to --build, not --host ?

The main point of cross building is to use powerful machines to build
for less powerful machines. Trying to cross-build for amd64 on ARM is
just being perverse. Building for ARM on amd64 or i386 or powerpc is
fine.

Also, cross-compiling means building toolchains for each supported
permutation. By supporting three separate toolchain sets, we keep the
workload of maintaining the toolchains within reasonable limits - i.e.
3*N where N is the number of architectures supported by Debian instead
of N*N-N.

All architectures supported by Debian are supported as --host as well
as a few that are *not* supported by Debian (like armel and armeb) and
ones that Debian used to support (like m68k) - various people are
working on uclibc support for ARM as well as other architectures.
Emdebian can support all those. Emdebian can support building for any
architecture supported by dpkg-architecture and for which someone can
build a toolchain.

If you want to build an ARM toolchain to crossbuild for amd64 I'm not
going to stop you but don't expect me to debug it!!
:-)

--

Neil Williams