Re: Help needed for bug #441794 on postgis

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:12:59AM +0100, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> Hi fellow developers,
>
> I need some help to figure out how to fix an issue with the postgis
> package, a PostgreSQL extension for handling spatial data.
>
> The bug report is #441794, and here there is a quick summary: the package
> provides a shared object (liblwgeom) which is used by postgresql for the
> postgis-specific functions. With the last upload (a new upstream release)
> the soname changed and the database became unusable because those functions
> referred to the old soname.
>
> I know that I could change the package name to reflect the soname, but I'm
> wondering if there is a better way to handle it. Note that this issue will
> pop up again when upgrading from etch to lenny.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I would suggest a manual soft-upgrade at every major upstream release.
This SHOULD be done by admin, I would avoid any automatic upgrade for
safety.
Release notes do not talk about a soft-upgrade requirement in 1.2->1.3,
but it could be possible that it has been oversight roughly :-/
There are good possibility of needing a hard-upgrade (manual dump/restore) at the
time of etch->lenny transition due to geometry changes, too.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine