Re: Long-term mass bug filing for crossbuild support

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> Well, then I'm even more mystified as to why you contradicted those
>> instructions and told people not to pass --build to configure for
>> non-cross-compile builds.

> So it is preferable for me to add --build to native builds even in a
> patch that is meant to only affect the cross build? I'm sure some
> maintainers will query why I'm setting --build outside the crossbuild.

I would tend to do so, personally, with the note that people can leave
that part off if they don't like it.  But that way, it's just bringing the
package in line with the autotools-dev recommendation, which puts somewhat
more force behind the patch anyway for people who may not think that
cross-compilation is interesting for their package.

> If that is how it is to be done then that is OK with me - I was just
> trying to keep the patch to the basic cross build requirements.

Yes, that makes sense.

> No problem. What is the reason for 'export' ?

It's not particularly significant and I'm not sure anything currently uses
it, but it makes the variable available to other helper tools used by
debian/rules, such as debhelper, in case they need to be able to detect
that cross-compilation is going on for some reason.