Re: Long-term mass bug filing for crossbuild support

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:52:37 -0500
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:23:39PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > Shouldn't packages be using these --build and --host arguments already
> > > even if not cross-building ?
>
> > No. There is no need to specify --build and --host if not cross-compiling.
>
> Er, no.  There *is* a need to specify --build when not cross-compiling, if
> your upstream build rules do clever things when the architecture is
> detected as "i686" instead of "i386".  This was the point in my previous
> comment.

Sorry, my reply wasn't clear. I should have added 'both':
"There is no need to specify both --build and --host if not cross-compiling."
or
"There is no need to specify '--build and --host' if not cross-compiling."

The patches that I will be submitting will set both at the same time
(as I hope the original message showed).

> There is no need to specify --host when not cross-compiling, and specifying
> it will result in autoconf believing that the compiler should be invoked as
> a cross-compiler.  Sometimes this has strange side effects as well.

That is what I was trying to get at.

If --build == --host then don't specify both - unless you are trying to
build a cross compiler at which point this whole thing gets even more
confusing.

--

Neil Williams