Getting upstream to listen (was Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Frederik Schueler wrote:
>So among them, one driver is activated, which I just deactivated in SVN.
Glad to hear they're all deactivated.  You do know that the source is
actually supposed to be DFSG-free as well?

>We will prune these drivers again from the lenny release kernel if there
>has not been found a different solution until then.
Excellent.

>So, I may repeat ANOTHER time so maybe NOW you get the point: help having the
>vendors re-release the drivers as GPL with sources, or have the drivers removed
>upstream if they are dead and should not be distributed anymore,

I've tried twice to get upstream to remove the dead dgrs, without success --
the first time, they agreed it was a good idea but didn't do it; the second time
they just didn't reply.  :-/

I had difficulty submitting it in perfect patch form (the firmware-file-removal
is a huge, huge hunk which mailing lists don't like); perhaps someone who has a
public git repo and could say "pull from here" would have more success?

I don't have the time or stamina to nag upstream repeatedly right now (though
when my schedule clears in a few years, if it's still there I'll try again).

Perhaps they might actually listen to you if *you* requested the removal of dgrs?
Since they aren't listening to me.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

A thousand reasons. http://www.thousandreasons.org/
Lies, theft, war, kidnapping, torture, rape, murder...
Get me out of this fascist nightmare!