Re: Bits from Tcl/Tk team

On 10/16/07, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>
> > The new policy tries to be as much as possible backward compatible, but
> > there is at least an aspect which will introduce a breakage with the past
> > (the removing of /usr/lib among $auto_path list [2]), mainly introduced to
> > solve current performance-impacting situation. Tcl/Tk developers should
> > refer to possible issues with their own extensions building due to this
> > change (see [3]).
>
> Does this mean that installing a pkgIndex.tcl into /usr/lib/$package is
> broken now, and that I should install the module to /usr/lib/tcltk? If so,
> is a pkgIndex.tcl still required?

No, the Tcl/Tk packages which comply to this policy aren't uploaded to
Debian yet. Moreover, /usr/lib in auto_path will be retained until
maintainers of all Tcl-based applications and extensions will
repackage them. pkgIndex.tcl is still required, but it will be moved
into a subdirectory of /usr/lib/tcltk or /usr/share/tcltk (not right
now).

Cheers!
--
Sergei Golovan