Re: migration and installation 50 THOUSAND machines

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 08:40:44AM +0200, Henning Glawe wrote:
> In my experience, a FAI setup like this scales quite well (although the
> updating frontend FAI-updater would need some improvements to scale better).

ok, a few side remarks to the scaling of "fai softupdate" style of
configuration management: In my experience, the bottlenecks are server
throughput and network bandwidth. With server I mean both the debian
package repository accessed by apt and the SCM servers. Both can be
replicated, so this should be a non-issue: put one or more of both server
replicas into each branch office and let the local clients pull from them,
while the admin team works on the "master" servers.

--
c u
henning