Re: Packaging a library that requires cross-compiled code

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:01:29 -0400, Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 08:09:59PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>> Until Debian as a whole can agree that it is important to be
>> self-hosting, and to be confident enough in our autotools maintainers
>> to trust their packages for automated builds, I don't think you
>> should ask David to build a whole cross compiler.  After all, that's
>> not only a _lot_ more complex to maintain, but more
>> build-resources-expensive.

> When normal practice for upstreams is to not ship any auto-generated
> files, and normal practice for users wishing to compile their own
> programs is to have autotools installed, then I might agree with you.
> Until then, I think that treating .ac files as if they're .c files is
> a canard.

        I don't think canard means what you think it mean:  all my
 packages treat .ac files exactly like they treat .c files; and this
 factual statement blows “canard” out of the water.

        I have not had any issues with regenerating all autoconf files
 during ./debian/rules configure phase.  Do people have examples of
 packages where this currently fails?

        manoj
--
"There is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress." Mark
Twain