Re: Proposed menu changes

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 03:23:04AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         While in the process of working on a new fvwm package, I
>  noticed that the Menu policy has changed some of the old titles to new

I was hoping I had sufficiently advertised the proposal and the changes
so that it would have reached you sooner.

>  ones.  For example, WindowManagers => "Window Managers", Modules =>
>  "FVWM Module" (which is incorrect; the correct way to address the wm
>  is Fvwm).

In that case, please report a bug to debian-policy requesting the
change. This is a trivial matter to fix.

>         But this means that people  who use Debian menus in fvwm have
>  now got to change their .fvwm/.fvwmrc files; and use the new names.
>  For example,
> + "&WindowManagers" Popup /Debian/WindowManagers
> + "&FVWM Modules" Popup "/Debian/Modules"
>  nust become.
> + "&FVWM Modules" Popup "/Debian/FVWM_Modules"
> + "&Window Managers" Popup "/Debian/Window_Managers"
>
>         So, with the new menu policy, Fvwm users have to edit their
>  configuration files.  Are there any plans for preserving backwards
>  compatibility, or at least a transition plan?

I would say it is a job for the menu-method, not for menu itself.
Does FVWM allow to define aliases to menu section, or something similar?
You could define "WindowManagers" as an alias for "Window Managers",
etc.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>