Releasing packages with 'pending' RC bugs

Hi,

out of curiousity.. imagine a package where:

  * the Debian maintainer is also upstream maintainer
  * the package has practically no users (popcon << 10)
  * the package has RC bugs
  * the RC bugs are fixed upstream
  * the RC bugs are tagged pending in the BTS
  * the fixed package doesn't get uploaded (e.g. due to ENOSPONSOR)

If I am not wrong (otherwise please do correct me) such a package would
enter testing on the normal way, and hence, would be part of the
upcoming stable release.

I don't know if many of these cases extists, but, are they actually
dealt with somehow by someone, or are they currently slipping through?

Regards,
Daniel