dh_install vs. dh_movefiles

dh_movefiles(1) says that "dh_install is a much better program, and you are
recommended to use it instead". Accordingly, I've changed the packages I've
adopted from using dh_movefiles to "dh_install --sourcedir=debian/tmp". But
it's not entirely clear to me just _how_ dh_install is so much better. And is
dh_movefiles deprecated? I think it can be practical if you need to put some
files in one package and the rest in a main package. Since you can't
specify "all files in /usr/share/foo except these: ...", you have to
basically list them one by one otherwise (or use hacks
like "usr/share/foo/{[!b]*,?[!a]*,??[!z]*}", or delete the duplicates
afterwards).

Accidentally overlapping .files lists can cause files to end up in the wrong
packages, whereas lintian can detect if the same file is in more than one
package. (And one must of course make sure that dh_movefiles operates on the
packages in the correct order if using deliberately overlapping lists.)

I also note that dh_movefiles might do globbing in a different way and that it
doesn't actually move files (it copies and then removes the original)

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)