Re: User-Agent strings, privacy and Debian browsers

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 12:39:25PM -0700, Peter Eckersley wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007  at 11:36:41 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > I would strongly expect that any user sufficiently concerned about
> > these issues to take active steps like those would be willing to use

> I think this misunderstands the problem.  Having stronger privacy is
> like an insurance policy: most of the people who end up having needed it
> never knew they were going to need it.  So they weren't going to have
> gone out and installed Privoxy (maybe with Tor) /and/ then examined it
> closely enough to realise that it doesn't alter their User-Agent by
> default, and configured it to masquerade as Firefox on Windows or
> something.

That sounds like an argument for improving the default configuration of
privoxy and similar tools more than anything else.  Like I say, you're
explicitly talking about users who have already taken active steps to
protect their privacy.

> Which brings us to a separate point: it's no use to have Privoxy
> configured to block User-Agent strings, since that means you'll be the
> one person with no User-Agent, which gives you an even smaller anonymity
> sets than the default debian packages.  Yes, smart users will copy

Right; I've never actually seen an implementation of this feature that
didn't substitute in a new browser string rather than simply removing
the existing one.  This feature is more commonly used to work around
browser detection in web sites than for privacy reasons so most
implementations actually come with a prepreparaed list of common user
agent strings and offer the ability to specify something else only as an
advanced option.