Re: How to start porting to a new ARCHITECTURE?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 03:26:37PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2007-09-17 19:46:20, schrieb David Given:
[...]
> > Now you have both a compiler and a kernel, you can use your
> > compiler to generate a userland --- as set of basic binaries to
> > get your system up and running --- and then boot your new
> > system. This isn't too difficult, although cross-compiling on
> > gcc has its own horrors.
> >
> > Once you've got it reliably self-hosted, you're most of the way
> > there --- setting up a basic Debian port is relatively
> > straightforward.
>
> "Self-Hosted" is "my" target since I have had MANY horrors with
> cross-compiling
[...]

Having never done it myself, take this with a grain of salt, but my
understanding is that you should really only use the cross-complied
system to bootstrap your port to the point where you can recompile
it all natively, then use the resulting native system to recomplie
it all again, just to be 100% sure. From there, you have the hard
part out of the way (hopefully) and can focus on the usual
arch-specific bugs in your desired applications.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);