Re: pbuilder and configure

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> writes:

> If I understand correctly it is recommended to use pbuilder for
> packaging and I've done so when I updated packages recently.  Then I got
> a bug report that a nice feature was suddenly lost and I found that
> configure script failed to find out very common applications because
> pbuilder didn't install them.

> I added necessary applications to Build-Depends for the moments but I'd
> like to know what is a decent (not to say the best) way to handle this
> problem?

What you've encountered is something that people mostly consider a feature
of pbuilder.  If you didn't have the package build prerequisites listed in
Build-Depends, those features weren't available on any platform other than
the one where you built the packages originally either.  pbuilder behaves
(mostly) like the buildd network, so you get the same behavior that users
of other platforms would get.

The solution is indeed to have a proper Build-Depends.

Now, on the question of how to figure out what a proper Build-Depends is,
various people have different techniques.  There are some scripts using
strace on configure floating around, for example.  I personally prefer to
just read the upstream configure.ac file and see what it looks for.