Re: seemingly random SATA disk lockup with ICH5: amazing way to ask for more info on the BTS

Le vendredi 14 septembre 2007, Luk Claes a écrit :
> Well for packages with many changes and many users it's not always easy
> to debug every single problem. So sometimes it's a great help if bug
> submitters test if the problem still occurs in the latest version...

Hello Luk,

I concur.

But, still, clearly, one cannot ask for info, more input from the user, while
at the same time disregard 99% of the info already provided.

Well, I hope that you are right and that is a /misunderstanding/. But I feel
these last year that this kind of /misunderstanding/ happen often on the
Debian BTS. Here  we are talking about linux and SATA support, not really a
secondary issue of an obscure piece of software. That's why I raised the
issue at debian-devel, I would be glad if it serves as a reminder to Debian
developers that even if users obviously owe something to them, handling
honestly reports is part of the deal.
If each time one a user of debian testing get to his documented bug reports as
only answer to use another version of the software (meaning switching to
unstable, which he may not want to/be able to), that won't do.

Well, end of the story for me. Thanks Luk for your attention.

--
Mathieu Roy