Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

Le mercredi 12 septembre 2007 à 16:51 +0200, Romain Beauxis a écrit :
> It often start with "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" and it' clearly written:
> " Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
>  of this license document, but changing it is not allowed."
>
> Shouldn't we garantee the right for our users to modify LICENCEs ??

This common belief that the GPL text itself is non-free is unfounded.

Can I modify the GPL and make a modified license?
        You can use the GPL terms (possibly modified) in another license
        provided that you call your license by another name and do not
        include the GPL preamble, and provided you modify the
        instructions-for-use at the end enough to make it clearly
        different in wording and not mention GNU (though the actual
        procedure you describe may be similar).
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL