"Outside udebs" capability: what are we waiting for?

I wrote this capability almost a year ago.  It's languished in bugs
#405886, #405888, #389450.

This is the ability to load from a second source of udebs (non-free, for
instance, or vendor supplied).

It's utterly straightforward and actually rather uninvasive code.  As designed it
doesn't affect the default build yet, even.

Is there some actual reason why this hasn't been integrated yet?  Has an
alternative solution been integrated?

I was told (over a year ago) that lack of installer support for non-free udebs
was the main technical reason for not moving the non-free parts of the kernel to
non-free where they belong.  If this was true, integration of
this should help unblock five "serious" bugs some of which are more than three
years old.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

"It's just a goddamned piece of paper."
-- President Bush, referring to the US Constitution
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml