Re: US mirror troubles

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:24:24AM -0400, Johan Kullstam wrote:
>>
>> Using "host" from bind9-host,
>> $ host http.us.debian.org
>> http.us.debian.org has address 128.101.240.212
>> http.us.debian.org has address 204.152.191.7
>> http.us.debian.org has address 35.9.37.225
>> http.us.debian.org has address 64.50.238.52
>>
>> And if you repeat the command, you will see the DNS doing round-robin
>> returning the addresses in various orders.  This seems great.
>>
>> However, libc6 resolv+ (I think - can someone confirm who is to
>> blame?) goes out of its way to *sort* the list by IP number and thus
>> thwarts the round-robin.  Aptitude (and wget, &c) *always* choose
>> 35.9.37.225.  This server must be getting beat like a red-headed
>> stepchild since *all* the debian update/upgrade trying
>> http.us.debian.org go there.
>

> See http://bugs.debian.org/438179

Hmm this makes me sad.  Thanks for fighting the good fight.

For the benefit of those who might not know, the solution is to edit
/etc/gai.conf and put a line of "sortv4 no".  IMNSHO it ought to be
the default.

For IPv4 RFC-3484 makes no sense.  Round-robin DNS depends on clients
prefering first address returned.  This totally breaks a de-facto
standard.

In IPv4, Subnet is perhaps easy to detect and prefer, but how do you
configure prefering a local-net?  And since IPv4 blocks are more or
less randomly strewn about the world, it doesn't help.

It makes some sense of IPv6.  But then, IPv6 is the internet of the
future and - like fusion power - will always be.  So why are we
breaking today's internet for some vaporware?

Screw 3484.

--
Johan KULLSTAM

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - R.W. Emerson