Re: menu policy & use of doc-base for programming documentation

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack <at> debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 03:19:43PM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> > The Debian OCaml maintenance team is looking at how to organize the
> > HTML documentation provided by the various OCaml packages.  Our first
>
> Right, to add some details to that:
> - each library we have (will) ship an HTML documentation of the API,
>   generated with ocamldoc (the equivalent of javadoc). Such
>   documentation will be installed as /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/html/api/
> - we just want to have a global HTML index which contain a listing of
>   all the library we ship as simple HTML links to the above pieces of
>   documentation
>
> If possible we would like to avoid reinventing the wheel, and doc-base
> seems to be the right tool; it's just to restrictive: why should its
> categories be tight to the menu categories?

We have a similar problem with TeX documentation.  In my opinion, using menu
categories for doc-base might have been a good start, but we should definitely
extend that now.

I'm currently in semi-VAC mode and don't have time to discuss this or even check
the archives - but if I remember right, the problem is that there is no one who
really maintains doc-base.

Regards, Frank