Re: libblitz - name space pollution

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:22:10AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that we have a name space polution:
>
>   $ apt-cache search libblitz
>   libblitz-dev - KDE/Qt image filter library - development files
>   libblitz0 - C++ template class library for scientific computing
>   libblitz4 - KDE/Qt image filter library
>   libblitz0-dev - C++ template class library for scientific computing
>   libblitz-doc - C++ template class library for scientific computing
>   libblitz0ldbl - C++ template class library for scientific computing
>
> which means that two completely different library and both of them
> install /usr/lib/libblitz.so (and other files).
>
> I feel responsible for libblitz++ (group maintained with Konstantinos
> Margaritis) and I personally initiated changing the name from
> libblitz++ to libblitz in the package because some tools did not
> really liked the '++' but the actual files are named without the '++'
> anyway and thus re-renaming the package to libblitz++ would not help
> anyway.  So what would be the best way to go in this case?
>
> I have no idea about the importance and role of libblitz inside
> the KDE project and I'm definitely think that blitz is a generic
> name that is not really well choosen in both cases.  The KDE
> libblitz4 is at version number 0.0.3 so probably quite young
> while libblitz++ is even though it did not reached version 1.0
> a quite old project.
>
> Any reasonable advise?

Do not worry about this, pusling noticed this problem while packaging blitz
(the KDE one :) ), and asked upstream to rename it.
It is going to be renamed to qimageblitz. [0]

Ana

[0] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=118794317314610&w=2
and http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=118812754821665&w=2