There is no policy on HTTP_PROXY variable, can we create one?

reassign 436520 general
retitle There is no policy on HTTP_PROXY variable
thanks

Hi,

I'm reassigning this bug to Debian in general.  I feel a Deja-Vu about
this, I thought I already discussed it somewhere but cannot find it
anywhere.

HTTP_PROXY, or http_proxy (and ftp_proxy) is used in many applications
within Debian.

There is a well-known remote attack using HTTP_* variables can be set
to arbitrary values for CGI scripts, and thus there is a need for
protection against that.

The main problem is that each application has went its own way in
implementing that protection. For example, ruby SOAP interface
requires SOAP_USE_PROXY variable is set before honoring the value of
http_proxy.

I am guessing the it is only possible to set the upper-case variant
through CGIs, and that vulnerability will be avoided through
restricting the use to 'http_proxy' and not 'HTTP_PROXY' but I have
not gotten around to verifying it.

I'd like the following to happen.

1. if there has been such discussion before

2. gather information about vulnerabilities for HTTP_PROXY, and http_proxy

3. gather concensus around HTTP_PROXY handling

4. Implement the change in individual applications (or programming
language libraries)

5. finally document it in Debian policy or somewhere suitable.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project