Re: making debian/copyright machine-interpretable

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>    Hello, I would like to gather comments about a proposal I have been
> thinking about during the GPLv2/v3 and GPLv2/CDDL discussions. I have
> finally written down what I have in mind here, and refined it with the
> help of many people on IRC:
>      http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

 Excellent!

 Perhaps it would it make sense to use a format which would cover more
 use cases than debian/copyright.
   Some use cases I have in mind:
 - upstream source files embedding this information directly (would ease
   creation and maintenance of debian/copyright and result in a better
   quality; would also keep the information close to its source)
 - use by other distributors, by upstream, or by other tools in general
   (freshmeat, online code search or whatever)
 - encoding of license tags in binaries (like for kernel modules or like
   we have with selinux and security contexts)

 I suppose this would be possible by extending the format to allow
 embedding in comments such as C/C++/Java etc. comments.

--
Loïc Minier