/bin/sh diversions

Hi everyone,

as shown in http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.release/17423
there's currently a discussion to use dash as /bin/sh instead of GNU bash.

Until now, /bin/sh used to be a symbolic link to /bin/bash, unless dash and,
later, mksh offered to install themselves there instead, as per Debian poli-
cy, which states that all POSIX compatible shells can be used as /bin/sh.

While I don't have an issue with dash being the default /bin/sh we should
implement a mechanism for the user to select which shell he wants there,
via debconf. Luckily, the Debconf tutorial by Joey Hess, found online at
http://www.fifi.org/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.html, has shown a sample for
packages to do it (scroll down to “Choosing among related packages”).

I propose that bash, dash, mksh, AT&T ksh and possibly ksh get amended by
such template. As I gather from the tutorial (please correct me if I'm
wrong), all packages involved would have to have the exact same debconf
choices, scripts and PO files. So I'd be more at rest if someone who is
really familiar with debconf and po-debconf were the one to start this,
with upgrade paths for the already existing ash (ancient), dash and mksh
choices.

If Debian is not going to implement this choice, you'd probably have to
change the policy which _does_ allow users to use any POSIX compatible
shell as /bin/sh.

Please Cc: me on answers, as I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.
Thanks in advance!

I'm not a Debian developer, I just maintain the mksh package because
I'm the upstream author of mksh. (Testing is done on kfreebsd-i386 sid.)

bye,
//mirabile
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt