Re: Cleanup before install (Re: Purging of unneeded ...)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:09:10 +0000 (UTC)
Oleg Verych <for.gmane@flower.upol.cz> wrote:

> > Embedded devices don't need perl or ruby or python or ....
>
> Yea, devices don't, software packages do...

Nah, we get around that too.

(cdebconf for one)

> Well, with "pkg perl-base; keep 'really' nothing;" string in config
> file you will have empty package installed, but what you say does not
> solve problems like this:
>
> - exim4 and cron {1} have dependency on adduser
> - adduser is 48k of "unreadable perl mess" and is a wrapper around
>   useradd from passwd
> - it is used only in postinst scripts to create (once) users/groups
>   needed

Then use busybox to replace adduser.

> So, as you can see, on any system where this packages{1} were
> installed or one with /etc/passwd set up by user from its backups or
> by admin (after fresh install), this 'adduser' content is useless,
> while dependency may stay.

Nah. Trust me, perl is not needed for any software to be used in
Emdebian. It is vital to Emdebian that perl is removed from
'essential' for embedded devices. It's part of rebuilding the
dependency chain - you can't do that easily with dpkg wrappers, you
need to cross-build.

My iPAQ has no hope of running perl and that is a large device as far
as Emdebian is concerned so there is no option - perl simply MUST
disappear.

The irony is that emdebian-tools, apt-cross and dpkg-cross are all
written in perl.
;-)

> I need a feedback from DDs first, because if dpkg solution is being
> waited with such hope, then geloiwa is useless.

I expect dpkg filtering to arrive soon.

--

Neil Williams