Re: fstab update for persistent device names

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:24:19AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 09:23:37AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Bastian Blank (waldi@debian.org) [070726 11:40]:
> > > For the libata-pata support we need to change fstab on several arches to
> > > not break all systems which uses them.
> > >
> > > We need to decide which arches needs this rewrite now and which value
> > > should be filed in.
> >
> > I'd like to ask you to postpone such changes until we split the
> > etch+.5-kernel off (because we don't want to change the fstab on the new
> > kernel, but on the upgrade from etch to lenny).
>
> i don't see this correlation as it is easy to revert back to old IDE
> instead of PATA for the etch kernel.
> according to dannf the target kernel wouldn't be 2.6.23 (fedora 8)
> but a later kernel when oldstable no longer receives security
> support. so that would mean scheduling that change very late in the
> release process of lenny!?

We talked about doing it a little earlier at debconf, but after
talking to zobel we're back at the December estimate. But yeah, I
think the sooner we switch for lenny, the better. Lets just hope that
we get quite a bit of etch & 1/2 testing from our users. The fact that
using backports from sid will probably[1] be non-trivial for the
libata-effected folks will hopefully encourage installs from the
etch+1/2 repo.

[1] probably, because I've still a lot of unanswered questions about
    the device name changes. waldi: do you have a plan that you're not
    sharing, or is this still open to discussion?

--
dann frazier