Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2007 à 12:59 +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> You do not remove the need for some functionality by simply removing the
> functionality itself altogether, which is what I see GNOME developers do
> more often than other developers.

This seems to be based solely on hearsay.

> Anyway, this thread is not about GNOME, but about the menu system, so
> let's keep it at that.

Well, I'm interested in a menu system which is usable for GNOME; which
means if it has to be shared with other environments with different
paradigms, the system has to be flexible enough.

> > I have no business into changing other environments' menus.
>
> If you are going to modify the menu system, then that is exactly what
> you're doing, even if you want to modify it so that the changes remain
> mostly limited to GNOME: by removing the Debian menu from GNOME or
> modifying it so that it doesn't show what's available in all other
> graphical environments that are available in Debian, you're confusing
> users. Users who have used Debian (but not GNOME) before, users who
> use Debian with GNOME on one machine and a lightweight window manager on
> another (because, say, that other machine has less resources), and so
> on.

The Debian menu in GNOME has been secondary for quite some time, and the
source of confusion is rather having two menus than having a menu which
isn't the same as WindowMaker's.

> I think one of the great selling points of Debian is precisely this
> unified menu system: no matter what window manager or graphical
> environment you use, there is still this single menu system that will be
> there, and that will contain all these applications; it is one of the
> few things that distinguishes Debian from other distributions.

This used to be true five years ago. Now, other distributions have moved
and worked on their menu systems, and Debian has not.

> Throwing it out because you don't like the way it is structured just as
> it's about to be restructured seems like throwing out the kid along with
> the bath water to me. The right way would be to improve the menu system,
> so that you can be happy with it. After all, I'll be the first to agree
> that the way the menu system is structured currently is suboptimal.
> Having it everywhere, with all applications visible, *except* in GNOME,
> would be a big, big shame.

Show me the code. If this wonderful menu system existed somewhere
outside your imagination, I guess we could happily used it.

Meanwhile, real world people have moved to the freedesktop menu, which
despite its flaws is more flexible, more beautiful and allows a better
structure designed for each environment.

> > I don't think anyone claimed that nobody does modify their interface.
> > The problem is that the very idea of modifying it is not intuitive.
>
> Then you need to work on that.

Work on brainwashing users so that they want to modify their interface?
What if they don't care and just want something working out of the box?

> > > Adding an icon to the panel or the desktop should be a drag-and-drop
> > > operation.
> >
> > It is.
>
> Not in my experience. I'll be happy to provide details if you want me
> to.

Please file a bug with details, yes.

> > And that's for the complicated way; otherwise it's just a matter of
> > right-clicking on the picture in epiphany and selecting "use as
> > background".
>
> This should also be possible in nautilus, IMO.

This is already the case in eog (which is the default image viewer).

--
 .''`.