Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2007 à 08:25 +0200, Frank Küster a écrit :
> > A window manager choice has nothing to do in an application menu, as it
> > is not an application. This is a matter for a configuration tool,
> > whatever form it takes.
>
> The Debian menu has more Categories than just applications.  In
> particular, it has a category for window managers.
>
> If you desktop environment guys want to go a different way and hide this
> category (and instead allow for window manager switching somewhere else,
> like some control center) that's fine.  But that doesn't say that window
> managers shouldn't have a menu file, or .desktop if that is going to be
> its successor.

As long as they are consistently tagged, I have nothing against .desktop
files for window managers.

This category doesn't exist in the freedesktop specification, but you
can add new categories, like X-WindowManager.

> Could you give guidelines how a maintainer of an application should
> classify their app,

Using categories described in [0] is a good start. The maintainers would
also have to agree on new categories if the ones listed are not
sufficient.

Also, the OnlyShowIn field is a good one for applications that are
really too KDE- or GNOME-specific to be shown in other menus. On the
contrary, NotShowIn should be used if similar functionality is available
in one or several environments and displaying an icon would only be a
source of confusion.

For applications that aren't useful in the general case, NoDisplay=true
should be set. Let me show an example: gstreamer-properties used to have
an icon in the menu. In current releases, the appropriate sinks to use
(esd, alsa, etc.) are autodetected which means there is no *need* for
users to launch it, and this allowed us to set NoDisplay=true. The same
should hold for configuration dialogs that are specific to an
application and already available from it.

> and how Gnome would decide which classes to hide?

ConsoleOnly, Shell, Screensaver, X-WindowManager are good candidates. We
could also exclude things like FileManager as nautilus is always
launched, for example. Sound judgement should do the rest.

 [0] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

--
 .''`.