Re: update-inetd don't update xinetd.conf

Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> Perhaps not, but the possibility to just drop a configuration snippet in
> a ".d" directory, instead of having to mess with a single configuration
> file, is appealing IMHO. Russ: May I ask why you don't like xinetd?

A bad taste left over from Red Hat, mostly.  Although one thing that the
current system allows without too much trouble is disabling entries, and
adding the xinetd disable option is a fair bit harder than just
commenting it out (when scripting the modification, for example, to apply
to tons of systems).

The configuration model of separate files per service is definitely
better.  I'm not sure if I care about all of the other complexity of
xinetd, though.  I only run inetd for the Kerberos r* protocol daemons
anyway, so nearly all my systems have a very simple inetd.conf file with
three lines in it.