Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking & stats

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, shirish wrote:
> Now I also have issues with it needing some kind of mail client, if
> it used some way to transport the messages without going through the
> mail client/server it would be so much easier.

You don't actually need a mail client, and once #421046 and
https://rt.debian.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74 is resolved, you won't
even need to know your ISPs SMTP server if your ISP blocks port 25.

> The reason for bringing the apport/launchpad reporting
> infrastructure is not to have a replica but if you guys could find a
> middle way. Atleast for some of the users it would be one less
> hassle if it could be used to work with the browser itself. I dunno
> how you guys feel but for me its always better to look at other
> tools also & if possible if some of the feature-set can be
> replicated/used for your bug-reporting tool/package.

The BTS predates launchpad by almost 8 years, and has been open source
almost a decade more than launchpad has. While I'm not averse to
adopting good ideas from launchpad (and feel free to file wishlist
bugs for them if you or others run across them) it's not been a viable
option for a bug tracking system (and it still isn't, as far as I'm
concerned.)

> So at some point in future could you guys think of not just using
> the installation as a benchmark for popularity of a tool but have
> some kind of usage pattern associated to benchmark real-life
> circumstances.

You want to look at the popcon vote fields; see
http://popcon.debian.org/FAQ for a complete explanation.

Don Armstrong

--
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves
exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves