Re: Archive rebuild with improved dpkg-shlibdeps

Hi Raphael,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:59:53AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> ace-of-penguins_1.2-8_sid32.buildlog:dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Symbol XDefaultRootWindow@Base used by debian/ace-of-penguins/usr/lib/libcards.so.1.0.0 found in none of the libraries.
> -> here's you have the opposite problem, this library uses symbols from
> another library without being linked with it. You need to the appropriate
> "-l" flag (in this case -lX11).

> If you encounter any strangeness, please report it so that we can check.
> Those warnings could be the base of some mass-bug filings althought
> we might want to start with the second one (those are real bugs, while the
> other are not creating any technical problem (except useless
> dependencies)).

If you do decide to do mass bugfiling about this second issue, please take
care to exclude from your list those objects which are neither shared
libraries nor executables.  It's fairly common for plugin APIs to require
that plugins refer to symbols only defined by the module loader, so checking
for undefined symbols in these DSOs will create a huge number of false
positives.

Cheers,