Version substitution in debian/control

(Please CC me in your replies, I'm not subscribed to debian-devel)

I'm trying to find a way to make a package depend on a specific version of
another package, with a slight difference.

I would like
  package "foo" with upstream version
to depend exactly on
  package "bar" with upstream version 1.0.0
and not work with
  package bar with upstream version greater than 1.0.0

So I guess it would be similar to requiring the same upstream version except
but truncating the last part of package foo's version before doing the

I've had a look at deb-substvars(5), but as far as I can see, I'd have to
use a custom substitution in debian/substvars and update that one every time
package bar is released.

Does anybody have a better solution?  Would it make any difference if I
were to convince upstream to change the version to 1.0.0+20070630 ?